Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Friday, October 15, 2010

beauty appointment and brothers

last night I had a hair appointment to get a (much needed) cut and color. when the receptionist (who's also one of the salon owners) called me to remind me on wednesday morning, I caved and cancelled the color. O's been very uptight about chemicals and we just had a big argument about whther or not I could get my 8 week ultrasound (he is sure ultrasounds are deafening our fetus) so I decided that since he's been caving on my cravings for bologna and was so apologetic about the ultrasound argument that i would give a little and go without touching up my roots for 4 more weeks. I casually mentioned that I still wanted the cut but was going to substitute a pedicure (even though O is sure nail polish causes birth defects) in place of the color because I was nervous and wanted to wait until I was out of the first trimester. She barely registered the news, but was super nice and said "don't worry about it, we get that all the time." so I thought that would be the end of that.

A word about this salon: it's amazing. I've been going there for the better part of a decade and even though my original sylist left to start her own business, I refused to be "poached" since I liked the owners of this place so much. The name of the place is Thairapy Plus Salon and Spa and they basically do everything there and everyone is super knowledgable and nice and chatty. A while back, I needed a last minute trim and my stylist was all booked up so they referred me to this other guy, Paul, who seriously gave me the best haircut of my life. I've sent 2 of my sisters, my Mom, my Bff, and a bunch of other people to see him. I don't even ask for the referral discount anymore because it's embarrassing. Even the most die-hard $10 supercuts fans admit that the $65 fee is well worth it. He's just very careful and exacting and he's not too chatty because you can tell he's hyper-focused on doing a good job.

Anyway, So I showed up last night at 5:45 straight off of a miserable day at work in my kid-stained teeshirt and busted up jeans and they just treated me like royalty. It was exactly what I needed. The owner (who was sooo casual on the phone) was actually so excited that as soon as she hung up, she immediately told everyone who worked there. So as soon as I walked in the door everyone started gushing over me and telling me how beautiful I looked, and reassuring me that my skin and hair looked amazing! It was so sweet. I got to talk about the pregnancy, and names and nursery ideas and everything in a totally no-holds-bar way that I haven't gotten to talk to my friends yet. Every was so happy for me and interested (or at least amazing pretenders if they weren't). It was so sweet. I had so much fun. When O picked me up two hours later he said I looked happier than I have in weeks, I was literally glowing. So hopefully bi-weekly mani pedis will be worth it from now...

Also, yesterday my brother Joe called me to tell me congratulations. It was really nice. I've never actually chatted with Joe, but he was asking how far along I am and when I'm due and he actually sounded excited for me, which was sweet. He said he was happy for me and he was sorry he didn't call sooner. I was really touched.

This is turning out to not be such a miserable week... Tonight is my cousins wedding, pray that word hasn't gotten around yet and I won't be bombarded and teased all night. amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment